Acne is a small eruption over the skin surface and they form as whiteheads, blackheads and pimples gradually and even become as red spots over face, back, neck and chest. Acne is more prominent and frequently occurs in teenagers and starts from the age of 12. Boys are more susceptible to the acne. Acne cannot be cured just in one attempt or one stroke, as there is no quick-fix to it. The treatment should be in as a series of systematic stages attempted to get rid of the disease, by removing the root causes and it cannot be treated just with a single attempt using lotions and creams.
Acne is not a very severe problem or life threatening problem and can be easily treated. It may cause in cosmetic disadvantage and does not result in loss of mobility. In some cause loss of self-esteem and may lead to mild withdrawal symptoms. Even post treatment, inflamed acne may result in pigmentation, which is also familiar as hyper-pigmentation post-inflammation. A pitted scan is also possible even post several years of the treatment. It is a gentle reminder that patient had medical history of inflamed acne during teenage years. The patient has to be prepared mentally to manage it.
There is no single cause attributes the problem of acne and mostly it is a complex interplay with combined factors, both internal and external and result in acne spread. Acne becomes more messy with more oily and greasy skin. Majorly, there are certain cause that leave the skin susceptible to the acne.
- The ideal habitat for propionibacterium and similar bacteria is under the skin surface, where trapped sebum gets secreted from the glands, like sebaceous glands. This bacteria gets multiplied with the risk factors and force the immune system react and result in inflammation. Then the patients need to contact the skin specialist for the intervention to ensure that proper treatment is facilitated without experiencing itching, swelling or pain.
- In case treatment is not facilitated timely, the colonies of bacteria may scale up and increase in number and result in filling the skin area with pustules or pus. Further delay de-generates into cysts and nodules. Most of the acne problems, almost 8 out of 10 don’t get developed to the pustules stage, so in such cases treatment becomes quite easy and successful.
- The initial stage or smaller pimples get chances of breaking out and form whiteheads, blackheads, red pimples with higher sebum secretion above the normal limit. It eventually result in creating the feel of scratching and attempt to peel that skin off. Itching followed by scratching response aggravates the acne symptoms and result in bleeding also. Hence, such problem needs treatment immediately.
Puberty triggers increase sebum release from sebaceous glands, which are responsible majorly to maintain the skin hydrated. Female, who suffers from the disorder of PCOD-polycystic ovarian become more tend to develop acne vulgaris. More exposure to chemicals and greasy thick make up also, through rare, technical causes to develop acne. Usage of ointments, steroid creams coupled with performance enhancing drugs ingestion, such as anabolic steroids should be done only after taking advice of dermatologist, otherwise the problem may gets worse further.
Treatment for acne is an arduous and longer process. Especially, for inflamed acne it needs a holistic approach and it needs an urgent or immediate dermatological intervention. Maintenance treatment is undertaken after the affliction comes under control so that the disease is kept from relapsing. In some cases, when the treatmne tis started during teenage years, it may also continue to adulthood, especially, if the patient is more anxious as the anxiety develops toxins further in the body and eventually administered medicines’ effect would be reduced.
However, certain formulations have higher rate of success to reduce the acne spread and so it also eliminates the acne out of skin surface, but it needs to suggest supplementary measures to obtain improved results, as the following.
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Azelaic acid to continue for a limited period
- Isotrenotin to reduce production of sebum
- Retinoid along with topical antibiotic
The objective of this treatment is to reduce inflammation by killing the germs and opening skin surface pores to ensure to get the patient back to pre-acne stages.
Apart from the treatment, it is important for the patient to stick to certain health based guidelines is important and play key role in curing the problem. The patient needs to wash the face with lukewarm water and soap, at least two times in a day, avoiding dirt based and harsh environments. Washing is suggested with antiseptic washes, instead of exfoliating agents or astringents to wash. Moisturizing creams, especially that are water based with no fragrance, are prescribed to use to yield better results.